Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (5 points)
I have been to the Great Wall three times ________________________ 1979.
The sentence should read, ¡°I have been to the Great Wall three times since 1979.¡± Therefore, you should choose [D].
[A] [B] [C] [¡ö]
1. If I were in movie, then it would be about time that I ________________________ my head in my hands for a cry.
[B] am burying
[D] would bury
2. Good news was sometimes released prematurely, with the British recapture of the port ________________________ half a day before the defenders actually surrendered.
[A] to announce
[D] was announced
3. According to one belief, if truth is to be known it will make itself apparent, so one ________________________ wait instead of searching for it.
[A] would rather
[B] had to
[C] cannot but£¨D£©
[D] had best
4. She felt suitably humble just as she ________________________ when he had first taken a good look at her city self, hair waved and golden, nails red and pointed.
[B] had had
[C] would have and£¨A£©
[D] has had
5. There was no sign that Mr. Jospin, who keeps a firm control on the party despite ________________________ from leadership of it, would intervene personally.
[A] being resigned
[B] having resigned
[C] going to resign£¨B£©
6. So involved with their computers ________________________ that leaders at summer computer camps often have to force them to break for sports and games.
[A] became the children
[B] become the children
[C] had the children become£¨D£©
[D] do the children become
7. The individual TV viewer invariably senses that he or she is ________________________ an anonymous, statistically insignificant part of a huge and diverse audience.
[A] everything except
[B] anything but
[C] no less than£¨D£©
[D] nothing more than
8. One difficulty in translation lies in obtaining a concept match. ________________________ this is meant that a concept in one language is lost or changed in meaning in translation.
9. Conversation becomes weaker in a society that spends so much time listening and being talked to ________________________ it has all but lost the will and the skill to speak for itself.
10. Church as we use the word refers to all religious institutions, ________________________ they Christian, Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, and so on.
Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the rackets with a pencil. (10 points)
The lost car of the Lees was found ________________________ in the woods off the highway.
The sentence should read. ¡°The lost car of the Lees was found abandoned in the woods off the highway.¡± There fore, you should choose [C].
[A] [B] [¡ö][D]
11. He is too young to be able to ________________________ between right and wrong.
12. It was no ________________________ that his car was seen near the bank at the time of the robbery.
13. One of the responsibilities of the Coast Guard is to make sure that all ships ________________________ follow traffic rules in busy harbors.
14. The Eskimo is perhaps one of the most trusting and considerate of all Indians but seems to be ________________________ the welfare of his animals.
[A] critical about
[B] indignant at
[C] indifferent to£¨C£©
[D] subject to
15. The chairman of the board ________________________ on me the unpleasant job of dismissing good workers the firm can no longer afford to employ.
16. It is naive to expect that any society can resolve all the social problems it is faced with ________________________.
[A] for long
[B] in and out
[C] once for all£¨C£©
[D] by nature
17. Using extremely different decorating schemes in adjoining rooms may result in ________________________ and lack of unity in style.
18. The Timber rattlesnake is now on the endangered species list, and is extinct in two eastern states in which it once ________________________.
19. However, growth in the fabricated metals industry was able to ________________________ some of the decline in the iron and steel industry.
20. Because of its intimacy, radio is usually more than just a medium; it is ________________________.
21. When any non-human organ is transplanted into a person, the body immediately recognizes it as _________________